Food Safety

Food Safety

The Food Safety Program is responsible for inspections of food service operations, temporary food service operations, food vending machines, micro-markets, mobile food operations, and retail food establishments. These inspections are conducted with consumers safety in mind. Local health departments have the authority to enforce state standards for safety and sanitation in Food Service Operations and Retail Food Establishments.

Foodborne illness is a serious public health threat. It is the goal of the Food Safety Division of Environmental Health to reduce the risk of foodborne illness through inspection, education, and enforcement.

Noble County Health Department’s Environmental Health Division is responsible for administering the Food Safety Program in Noble County which includes licensing and inspection of local restaurants, grocery stores, caterers, convenience stores, cafeterias, mobile food vendors, temporary food vendors, and vending machines. The ultimate goal of the program is to reduce the risk of food borne illness through the licensing and inspection of food operations within Noble County and enforcement of Ohio’s Uniform Food Safety Code. Key components of the Food Safety Program include:

  1. Plan Review and licensing of Food Service Operations (FSO’s) and Retail Food Establishments (RFE’s)
  2. Routine inspection of licensed food operations.
  3. Investigation of foodborne illness complaints or outbreaks.
  4. Educating local food handlers, managers, owners, and operators through Level 1 Person-in-Charge Training and Level 2 Ohio Food Certification Training programs

What type of license do I need to sell food?

There are several food license categories that the Noble County Health Department licenses and inspects. Each category is grouped based upon the type of risk or what kind of setting the food establishment is operated. The following are the types of license categories licensed and inspected by the Noble County Health Department:

  • Risk Level Food Operations or Retail Food Establishments– Permanent facilities such as restaurants, cafeterias, grocery stores, convenient stores, caterers, and carryout’s.
  • Mobile Food Operations – Portable food units that typically are seen at festivals, street corners, events. They are designed to be moved from location to location (i.e food trucks, concession stands, hot dog carts)
  • Temporary Food Operations – Temporary kitchens or sale of food at festivals, events, parks, fairs, or other locations where a license is secured for the event for an organization or business wanting to sell food for a time limited event. The license is only valid for the specific event.
  • Vending– Vending machines that sell hot or cold food or beverages that are time and temperature-controlled foods.
  • Micromarkets – Food Sales in small displays and many times are in office buildings, businesses or workplace.

How do I get a cottage food or home bakery license to make food from my home?

If you are wanting to learn how you can prepare and sell cottage foods, home baked goods, farm eggs, or other foods produced from your home or farm, you must contact the Ohio Department of Agriculture at 614-728-6250 or  visit their website here. You can learn more about the following food production or packaging food and preparation of food to sell at farmers markets by contacting the Ohio Department of Agriculture. ODA oversees the licensing / registration of:

Changes in the Food Facility rules of the Ohio Revised Code 3717-1-02.4 (A)(2) now require all Class 3 & 4 food facilities to have at least one employee who has supervisory and management responsibility, and the authority to direct and control food preparation and service to obtain the level two certification in food protection by March 1, 2017.

Temporary, mobile, vending and risk level 1 & 2 food service operations or retail food establishments are exempt from this new rule.

Food Safety Training